10 Things To Desired By Your Autistic Child to Know

Posted by Unknown on Sunday, June 24, 2012

1. Behavior is communication. All behavior occurs because there is a particular cause. Certain behaviors tell you, how do I respond to the world around me at that time. Negative behavior interfere with my learning process. But not enough to stop the behavior; give me alternatives to replace these behaviors, so that learning can flow again. Start by believing this: I really want to learn to interact appropriately. No child wants the negative feedback of the behavior of the "bad". Bad behavior means that I feel overwhelmed by disordered sensory systems, can not communicate what I wanted and did not understand what is expected of me. Try looking beyond the behavior to find the source of it.
Make notes about what happened just before the behavior: who is involved, time of day, activities undertaken and in what situations. So then there will be a pattern.

2. Do not draw any conclusions. Without facts, the conclusion is only a guess. Maybe I do not understand the rules. I heard the instructions, but I do not understand. Maybe I knew it yesterday, but today it could not dig anymore from my memory. Ask yourself:
Are you sure that I understood what was asked of me?
If I wanted a small chamber whenever I do a math sheet, maybe I do not know how or fear my effort will not be good enough. Stay with me last hal2 repeat until I feel quite competent.
Are you sure that I really know the rules?
Do I understand why the rule (safety, economy, health)?
Am I breaking the rule because there is a particular cause?
Maybe I'm an early lunch because I was worried about finishing my science project, I did not eat breakfast and now I'm really hungry?

3. Look for sensory issues first. Many of the behaviors berontakku due to discomfort. An example is the fluorescent lighting, which has proven difficult for kids like me. Dengungnya very annoying sound my ears are hypersensitive. Kedipan2nya make my vision a mess, make benda2 in space as if it were moving continuously.
An ordinary desk lamp to study or above room feel more comfortable to me. Or maybe I need to sit closer; I do not understand what you are saying because there are too many other suara2 that lawnmower outside the window, Jasmine whispering to Tanya, chairs scraping, pencil sharpener.
Ask the school occupational therapist to create a comfortable atmosphere in the sensory-class. It is good for all children, not just me.

4. Berikanku time to organize myself before I need it.
A quiet corner of the carpeted, with pillows, books and earplugs will allow me to calm down when feeling tense, but the distance is not too far away, so I can easily rejoin their friends and resume school activities.

5. Tell me what do mush a positive way and not how to rule. "You left a mess in the sink!" This is a fact for me. I can not understand that what is meant is:
"Can you remove the former catmu and put the paper towels in the trash" Do not make me guess or have to think what exactly I should do.

6. Do not expect too much. When all children have gathered crowded schools, where some children continually about the candy, I feel uncomfortable. It seems more useful to the school secretary to help clean up the magazine.

7. Give me time to switch from one activity to another. I need more time to switch from one activity to another. Give a warning 5 minutes before, and 2 minutes before switching activity. A desk clock dibangku my study helped to remind me of the transition activities. Thus I can manage on their own time.

8. Do not make a bad situation became worse again. Whether you are a mature adult, sometimes you make the wrong decision in an emotional state. I really do not mean to disrupt your class. I was more easily overcome if you ignored my behavior than you also marah2. Hal2 exacerbate a critical state is:

- Raising the volume of your voice. I would be heard shouting rather than your words.
- Mocking or mimicking me. Way sarcastic, mocking or cursing will not be any results.
- Alleges something that is not true
- Saying something obscure meaning.
- Membandingkanku with siblings or other students.
- Bring up the past or had nothing to do.
- Mengelompokkanku in the category: "Kids like you are all the same ...."

9. Gently criticize. Try to be honest: if you yourself can accept constructive criticism well? Maturity and confidence to be able to accept criticism is far from me. This does not mean that I should not be reprimanded. However admonish well, so I could hear benar2.
Never discipline or give warning that I'm angry, over-stimulated, withdrawn, anxious and emotionally disturbed so I can interact.
Help me to understand what is triggering feelings of that behavior. I could have said that I was angry, but maybe I'm actually scared, disappointed, sad or jealous. Try to match it all. Practice, possibly with a role-play, to show me another way to Solve the problem next time. A short story by foto2 would be very helpful. Do it over and over again, maybe not just once. And when I do it right next time, let's say it directly. It is helpful when you yourself give an example of how you respond to criticism.

10. Give the right choice, right really. Do not give vague options such as the question: "Would you .......?", Unless you are ready with an honest answer: "No". For example the question:
- Will you read out loud now?
- Would you share with your friend catmu?
It's hard for me to trust you if you provide an option that is not an option. In everyday life you are faced with so many choices. You continue to make choices, halmana make your life you can control. For me, the choice is much more limited, because it is difficult to be able to trust yourself. Gave me more options to help me get more involved in everyday life. Gave me the choice to help me to learn to behave better, but I also understand that there are times when you can not give me choice. If this happens, I will not be disappointed if I understand why. Last: believe me! Henry Ford once said: Do you think you can or can not, usually you're right. Believe that you are very meaningful and could change myself. I feel stronger than my ability to communicate. The most I can feel is what you believe. If you expect more, you'll get more. Give me a boost so that I could develop according to my ability. I will continue to thrive despite being out of your classroom.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment

Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free